Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rubik's Cube World Record

This is a Rubik's Cube. To an average person, it is a 3x3 cubical object consisting of smaller coloured cubes designed by a Hungarian bloke to torment the mentally inept. But to a geek, this object is one of the greatest toys ever invented and a source for endless hours of "fun".
But really, the Rubik's Cube is such a nerd toy. This one time I caught sight of my reflection in the mirror while arranging the pieces of this cube and I looked so nerdy, I felt like beating myself up.

As much as I laugh and deride at this puzzle indulged in by geeks, the ugly truth is that my meagre brain has not been able to solve a Rubik's Cube in the past 23 years since I first came into contact with this bizarre toy. As it stands, I will not feel like a real man until I manage to get one uniform colour concurrently on each of the six sides. That is, without resorting to peeling off the coloured squares and sticking them back on again.

There must be some rare Rubik's Cube-solving gene that I did not inherit from my parents unlike this guy below. His name is Toby Mao. This Amercian chap holds the world record for solving the Rubik's Cube in the fastest recorded time. Look at the hordes of adoring nerds in the background. He must get all the ladies.


He's so cool he doesn't even need to open his eyes when posing for photos. But look at that time on the clock. 10.48 seconds!


Or wait a minute, maybe this guy is closing his eyes for a reason. Maybe he has the same special power as "Hiro Nakamura" from "Heroes".

Yes of course. That's how he does it. He freezes time and then solves the Rubik's Cube before unfreezing time again. The guy is obviously a cheat. How else can you explain him being able to solve this puzzle in 10.48 seconds while other mortals can't do it in over 2 decades?

Right, I'll get my coat.....

technorati tags:, , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: